fundfilling your goals

non-profit and business services

F a q's

Q.  Can I schedule some time to speak with a KSTB representative?

A.   You absolutely can call, email, or complete the Contact Form to schedule a consultation. We charge a fair but firm $75 Consultation Fee which is applied to your first invoice.


Q.  Do you work on a contingency or for a percentage of the grant?

A.  No. In most cases, grant preparation costs or fees cannot be paid from a grant, unless such costs are included as eligible cost items in the RFP budget instructions and your budget request. Thus, proposing to trade grant writing services for a percentage of grant funds is generally unethical and/or illegal. Grant preparation costs and fees are usually paid from other agency resources, such as individual donations, reserves, indirect cost recovery, etc.


Q.  Can you guarantee our organization will be funded ?

A.  No. In the grant writing business, there are no guarantees. We can guarantee to meet deadlines and submit a professional well-written document.


Q. Is it true that the IRS is now so backlogged that they are taking 8-12 months?

A. Yes. According to the director of the IRS Exempt Organizations Division, most exemption applications are handled in one of three ways:


1. "If the application is complete and everything we need is in there, we can close the case right then and there. They get closed pretty quickly and a large number get closed that way." (If your application is "merit closed" you could receive your determination letter in less than a month.)


2. "...we found...there were a large number that didn't quite make it through the screening, but they didn't really need the full-fledged development by one of our staff people. So we send them off to what we call accelerated processing. That enables us to hand off the responsibility to get a couple of pieces of information to a lower level staff person so that the agents can continue working the other cases that are coming in." (The turn-around on these is not much longer than #1 above.) NOTE: In a speech in February, 2009, an IRS official indicated that 59% of the applications it currently receives are processed as described in #1 and #2.


3. "Cases that have to be developed because we don't have the appropriate information or something is confusing or there's a question have to go and stand in line and wait for an agent who's available to deal with the case." As of February, 2009, the IRS website says that these more complex applications are being assigned to an agent about 7 months after receipt. Depending on the individual agent's workload, it may take several more months to complete a case once it has been assigned.


Q. Can you mail a 501(c)(3) form to my address?

A. I am glad to provide the information in this website as a public service, but I do not maintain a supply of IRS forms to mail out. You can obtain IRS Forms and Publications: - By visiting your local Federal Building. - By calling 1-800-829-3676 (1-800-TAX-FORM). [TTY/TDD 1-800-829-4059 ] - By Fax. From a fax machine, dial (703) 487-4160 and follow voice prompts. - Over the Internet at CAUTION: Not all Forms and Pubs are available through all means listed. Q. What can you tell me about the number that the IRS gives to a charity once it’s been


Don't trust your 501c3 and grants to just anyone. Get it done right the FIRST time with KSTB Enterprises, LLC.


Q. What can you tell me about the number that the IRS gives to a charity once it’s been approved?

A. This is a common misconception. In fact, the IRS does NOT issue a special number to recognized charities. The ID numbers the IRS uses for charities and other tax exempt organizations are the same as the numbers the IRS uses for taxable corporations, etc - the Federal ID number.


This number is known by several different names - TIN, EIN, FEIN (short for taxpayer ID number, employer ID number, or Federal Employer ID number).


The EIN does not indicate in any way whether an organization is tax exempt. No additional "tax exempt number" is assigned when an organization gets 501(c)(3) or other tax exempt status. The only proof an organization has that it is tax exempt is the letter from the IRS saying so.


Q. I am starting a 501(c)(3). Do I need to incorporate first and then apply for tax-exempt status or can I just apply for tax-exempt status? Which comes first?

A. When the IRS recognizes tax exempt status, it is specifically for a named entity - usually a corporation, sometimes a trust or association. If the corporation does not exist yet, it cannot submit a 501(c)(3) application. You need to incorporate first.


Q. We recently sent in our completed 1023, and now want to know if there is any way to contact the IRS for notification that they received the application, and how far along they are in the processing. Do you know of any email address or phone number.

A. If you paid your "User Fee" with a personal check, you can watch your bank statements. When the IRS cashes your check, you can be certain they received your application package. You could also call IRS Customer Service for Applications. They should be able to tell you whether your application was received, and whether it has been assigned to an agent. In some cases, they may be able to give you the name and phone number of the IRS person handling your case.


Q. We just received the letter approving us for not for profit status. We applied for a 501(c)(3), yet they approved us for a 509(a)(1). Do we say that we are a 501(c)(3) or do we say that we are a 509(a)(1)? What is the difference?

A. When you file a 501(c)(3) application, you are actually asking the IRS to decide not only whether your group qualifies under 501(c)(3), but also whether or not it is publicly supported. The first sentence of your letter from the IRS probably says, "Based on information you supplied...we have determined you are an organization described in section 501(c)(3)." So you can say that your group is a 501(c)(3). 509(a)(1) is sort of like a subcategory of 501(c)(3). If your letter says 509(a)(1)/170(b)(1)(A)(vi), it means your group is (or is expected to be) publicly supported because at least one third of its support is (will be) from gifts, grants and contributions from the general public.


Q. What if our situation changes in the future? Would we be required to make any amendment to Form 1023?

A. If your application is approved by the IRS, the 501(c)(3) letter they send will say something like: "If you change your sources of support, your purposes, character or method of operations, please let us know so that we can consider the effect of the change on your status." You just send in this supplemental information, either separately to Cincinnati, or to Ogden, Utah, as an attachment to Form 990 or 990-EZ. You do not "amend" the Form 1023.


Q. Our tax determination letter for our 501(c)(3) status is over 30 years old and is difficult to photocopy. Who may I contact to obtain a replacement letter?

A. The IRS does not "replace" determination letters. You can, however, ask for a letter confirming that their records show that your organization is tax exempt. Send your request, signed by a board member or officer, to: Internal Revenue Service Attn: Exempt Organizations P. O. Box 192 Covington, Kentucky 41012-0192

Using IRS Fill-in Forms:


Caution, newer IRS forms may work differently... I encourage you to type your application. A handwritten application is almost always harder for the IRS agent to read, and therefore does have a slight disadvantage. In addition, the application will represent your organization to the world for years to come. Once the IRS has approved your 501(c)(3) status, your organization is required to make a copy of the application available to anyone who asks. Watchdog groups currently publish the annual IRS returns of 501(c)(3) organizations on the Internet; they may decide to post applications as well some day.



A little time invested now can give you the advantage of a good "first impression" for years to come. To type your application using the IRS Fill-In Forms: 1. If the links to Forms shown below do not work, go to the IRS website ( and click on "Forms and Publications" just above the word "Contents." Scroll down to "Fill-in Forms." In the selection box, scroll down until you find the form you need. Highlight the form or forms you want, and then click on "Review Selected Form." On the page that comes up, click again on the form you want, and wait for the pdf file to load. (You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is free, on your hard drive.



The IRS website has instructions on how to download this if you need it.) 2. The Form 1023 file that comes up includes an image of every page of the Form 1023. You will not need them all. 3. Make sure you have selected the "hand tool," and go to the area of the form where you want to make an entry. Click to change the hand tool into a blinking cursor. (You may need to experiment, moving the hand tool around a bit, to get this change.) 4. Begin typing. As far as I can tell, you cannot change the font, size, or color if you are using the free version of Adobe Acrobat. The IRS website has links to Fill-in Form Instructions, and Fill-in Forms Tech Support. CAUTION! Depending on the version of Adobe you are using, you may not be able to save your work.


KSTB Enterprises, LLC  |  Copyright 2017.  All Rights Reserved

P.O. BOX 310749 ATLANTA, GA 31131

Fax: (770) 969-5612

Tel: (770)-756-7565

Admin Area